Inflammation is estimated to be the root cause of up to 95% of all chronic health conditions. It is essential that we add as many anti-inflammatory foods to our diets as possible to achieve optimal health and avoid chronic health conditions that lead to decreased vitality!
Here are my top 5 anti-inflammatory foods that are easy to incorporate into our day to day diet and that taste pretty good also because lets admit it… if it tastes like cardboard we probably won’t eat it!
1) Salmon- salmon is the bomb! It’s a healthy protein and has plenty of omega 3 fatty acids. It’s basically the superstar of anti-inflammatory proteins. As an added bonus it’s easy to prepare in a variety of ways and goes good with many different seasonings. Make sure to get wild caught salmon and avoid “Norwegian salmon” or Atlantic salmon as this is usually code for “farm raised” which negates many of the health benefits.
2) Turmeric- this spice is well known for its health benefits. You can get a powder form on its own however my favorite way to get turmeric is to use curry powder. Curry also has many other beneficial herbs and roots and makes for great sauces or dry rubs for chicken and other meats.
3) Ginger- you can also get ginger in powder form to add to recipes or you can buy the actual root and put thin slices on salads. It’s a bit spicy so don’t say I didn’t warm you if you go with the root itself!
4) Extra Virgin Olive Oil- this is great salad dressing. I don’t recommend cooking with it often as it tends to diminish the health effects by reducing polyphenol levels. Even if you’re not using in on food taking a tablespoon or 2 a day is a great addition to a healthy diet.
5) Raw Sauerkraut- raw kraut gives you 2 major benefits. First of all cabbage is loaded with nutrients and fiber. Second, raw sauerkraut contains numerous probiotics that bestow many benefit to those who eat them! It’s gotta be raw though. The major brands are all pasteurized and are basically just fiber in a can.
These are just my top 5. There are many other foods that can be very beneficial. Need help with nutrition, inflammation or pain? Call us today (715-246-7500), message us on Facebook or just stop in our Glenwood City office. We can help.