By now, you’ve probably heard how important fiber is for good health and this is certainly true! However the reason you want plenty of fiber in your diet is not just to feel full. Fibers main purpose in the diet is to feed the beneficial bacteria in your gut so they can provide you with an abundance of health prompting post-biotics. These are compounds such as minerals, signaling molecules and hormone precursors the body needs to be healthy.
Here is my go to list of fiber sources that contain plenty of soluble fiber and some insoluble fiber. Perfect for feeding your gut buddies and improving your overall health!
- Avocados- this fruit (yes, fruit) has 10g of fiber in a single avocado! It’s a great source of fiber that is easy to incorporate into your diet in smoothies, on salads or as guacamole. Truly a super star of fiber containing foods!
2. Psyllium Husk Powder- this common supplement contains 4.5 g of fiber per teaspoon serving. It is a great fiber source that you can mix in with water and drink for a quick fiber boost!
3. Onions, Garlic and Leeks- this family of veggies has a very specific type of fiber that good gut bacteria love. Enjoy them raw on salads or stir-fried in your favorite recipes.
4. Asparagus- another vegetable with lots of good soluble fiber that is specially preferred by the good gut bacteria. Enjoy it anytime!
5) Broccoli- ah yes, broccoli! Not only is this cruciferous veggie high in fiber, it also contains DIM, a powerful anti-inflammatory compound. I try to eat broccoli at least twice a week.
BONUS:-) All leafy greens! Thats right, all lettuces, spinach and other salad greens are amazing for your gut health! You literally cannot eat enough so try adding a salad to each meal and feel free to drizzle it generously with gut health promoting Extra Virgin Olive Oil!
Need more help with your diet? Stop in or call us and we’ll set up a time to talk and get your diet up to par and improve your health!